To start out with, I'm sure somebody out there has noticed that you're not reading "walkingsaint.blogspot.com" but rather "walkingsaint.com" - a domain registered to ME. Part WalkingSaint.com
is running this blog (currently through Blogger.com
, but part of it is the technical project that is the server underneath my blog. As I've noted before, I run this server (and move it around
all the time) as an exercise in the skills I've learned; it's fun and I get to implement knowledge in a hands-on way.
Well, besides being a web server, this computer is also an email server for me. It's not a very good one inasmuch as it's currently hosted on a home cable modem, which means it's bound to show up on a blacklist
by that fact alone. (Email blacklists are lists that some mail servers look at to see if they should just automatically reject mail from that server.) However, like I said, this is as much a technical project as it is an actual server.
So my latest feat was implementing a satisfactory anti-spam routine. Since I receive email here I also get a lot of spam (for no particularly good reason) and I'm tired of having that clog up my mailbox. This server is running Fedora Core 5
, a free spam-detection program.
It took me a while to figure out what I was doing with this and how I wanted to set it up. Thankfully, the tools in Fedora Core are frightfully easy to actually install. The catch is that SpamAssassin will DETECT email, but I have to make it do something one it's detected. I didn't want to run a bunch of different utilities to move the spam around, nor did I really want to even have a "junk e-mail" folder. All I wanted was to have spam (or likely spam) not show up
. To that end I've decided that any mail that is probably spam won't even be delivered to me.
Here's what I did.
1) Configured Postfix with integrated spamd/spamc per this document
2) Configured SpamAssassin to mark likely spam with a [*SPAM*] in the subject line.
3) Postfix will accept the mail, run it through the content filter (SpamAssassin), then take the mail back and deliver it. I set up a simple "header check"
such that any mail that has [*SPAM*] in the Subject line will be re-directed to a specific user account (something like "spamking".)
4) Once a week, I run the SpamAssassin spam learning tool (sa-learn), which updates its lists of Bayes
definitions; essentially it learns what spam looks like in order to detect it better.
It's all fun and good and it seems to work now... let's see how it continues!